Wednesday, July 29, 2015

What types of reflection do we need? Group reflection, instructor-supported reflection, and self-reflection?


Since the readings in this week are my interest, I would like to reflect on those readings.  According to Kim, Hong, Bonk, and Lim (2011)'s experimental study, instructor-supported reflection led to better performance, and team effectiveness. Their result was consistent with previous studies. Based on my experiences, I think that makes lots of sense. A group members could not build a mutual trust during a short time period, and thus need instructors' feedback.  Instructors should monitor and take part in their learning process, make suggestions, references, or resources related to their project to learners, replies to student emails, and grade work with comments. Teachers' feedback let students feel that they are not alone. Even though team members do not collaborate very well with each other, they can hang there with teachers' guidance or even interventions.


Regarding group reflection, the study showed that actually team effectiveness was improved towards the ending of the experiment. This also made sense. At the beginning of the teamwork, members may not be familiar with each other. Thus they do not know how to interact with each other, and what words should be used. You know, individuals have different preferences. For example, my preference is that I am almost offline at weekends, and choosing reading articles and papers. However, in one team project I was working on, my team members still worked at weekends because of the deadline. So I did not respond to them immediately via email. As I think back, I feel sorry for them. But I indeed actively participate in the group project. But I can feel they feel not so safe when failing in receiving my email immediately. So when working in a team, knowing individual preferences in the schedule, learning characteristic is very important.  As time goes by, team members can gradually know better about each other. At this point, they can collaborate with each other more smoothly. As Kim et al. (2011) found, team members felt a burden when critically evaluating others’ performance. But I think if every member in a team try their best to make contributions to the team work, they won’t feel awkward at all. I remember I made good friends with my team members in a team project. We actually kept weekly meeting even after the class project. When giving peer feedback, I did not feel nervous at all because they were all great team members.

As self-reflection is concerned, I think it is hard to do, but more deeply. Even though the study did not reveal the importance of self-reflection, I do think it is very helpful to improve our critical thinking and knowledge base. Personally speaking, knowledge can only be taken after the application and reflection. For example, after I read the article, I could not connect the knowledge and studies with my previous knowledge base and cognition until I made reflections on it in this blog. Also, I like reading others’ deep reflection blog, which make me learn about unfamiliar topics and experiences. I think individuals have their own wisdom and ways of thinking. We can always learn from others’ deep reflection on their experiences or perceptions.  


The above are my thoughts. Look forward to your feedback. Lol. 


Kim, P., Hong, J., Bonk, C., & Lim, G (2011): Effects of group reflection variations in project-based learning integrated in a Web 2.0 learning space, Interactive Learning Environments, 19(4), 333-349. doi:10.1080/10494820903210782

No comments:

Post a Comment