Thursday, July 9, 2015

Is hyperconnectivity good or bad?



I think the hyperconnectivity enabled by mobile phone cause the pressure for us. “The expectation and reality of perpetual access also creates stresses. Jeremiah, a tech-sector worker interviewed by Pew Internet (who only wanted us to use his first name) described his evolution as a manager of his social relationships. Jeremiah began to regulate his accessibility. First, he started using email “away” messages to inform others when he was focusing on particular tasks and to reduce the pressure he felt to respond quickly to all emails— both work and personal. After that, he likewise used away messages on his mobile phone to let callers know what he was doing and when he would be able to receive and respond to voicemail messages. He also created several email accounts to share with close friends and colleagues to allow them different pathways to him that he monitored more frequently” (Rainie &Wellman, 2012, p. 2586).

Like Jeremiah, I am learning to control my accessibility. I used to be accessible to everyone who call me. I would friendly pick up phones from others no matter whether I was busy. That really interrupted my study, and work. I felt with my phone at hand, I would never focus on my study. But I do not do that anymore. I am learning to balance my work and life, and own my personal time. So I do not easily give others my phone number. I prefer giving someone who I just know my WeChat username or Facebook username. So I can decide whether or when I will respond to them. I do not make myself accessible any time. Take the intimate relationship for example. In old times, I wanted my boy friends to respond to every message I sent, and every call I made. If he missed my call or message, I would be mad and angry. I would think he did not love me anymore. Think back to that. I was crazy. Now I realize that everyone has their own schedule for work and study including my boyfriend. We could not be rude to interrupt others' life with our mobile phone. "We’ve really gone from the anytime, anywhere ethic to one where you have go through protocols and permissions to get to deal with someone" (Rainie &Wellman, 2012, p. 2607).

I am wondering about how you control your accessibility since you have a phone. 

2 comments:

  1. You make a good point. We could easily fill our day with drivel between text messages, phone calls, social media posts... Michael Hyatt just published a blog this morning "Three reasons I hate text messages." http://michaelhyatt.com/text-messages.html

    I love texting, but that's because I can move my phone away, put it on silent, and focus on whatever it is I want to do. I guess its about perspective. Some people want to serve others and respond immediately; I serve myself :)

    Good topic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. mind. And thank you for sharing. It’s interesting to read your shared blog post.
    Like you, I serve myself, too. We are mostly prone to sticking our schedules for work and life.

    ReplyDelete