Saturday, July 11, 2015

Reflections on my reading on Chapter 7 Networked work

Before reading the chapter 7, I did not think a lot about networked work. I have taken it for granted. You know, everyone is doing things in a similar way. 

As Rainie & Wellman (2012) claimed, networked work blurred the boundary between work and life.  I always use my laptop, mobile phone and internet to work. It often happens I work at home. Since I need to take the last school bus every day at 5:12, I always get off work early. However, I cannot afford to not to work or study at all after 5:12. After having dinner, my focus is on my work. Most of time, I do the readings, check the discussion board posts for this course, write a journal, publish a Twitter post, communicate with community members I observe. Twice in a week, I have a video conference with a student in China. In a world, I am really seeing networked work going on.

Networked work also allows us to work in different groups. I am now working as a teaching assistant in Office of Distance Learning (ODL), an intern in the Strozier library, an online student for this course, and a research group member. In the research group, one member is now in China. Most of time, I use email to contact my boss in office of Distance Learning, facilitator in the Strozier library. If some emergent situation occurs, I test messages to my boss in ODL or make phone calls. As an online student, I often communicate with my classmates online, publish twitter, and share my opinions and experiences in my blog.  As Rainie & Wellman (2012) claimed, work offline is also necessary to build mutual trust, and improve communication efficiency. In a week, most of time, I work in the Strozier library for three hours, and have face-to-face meeting with my boss. Once in a week, I visit my boss in ODL to finalize some issues.



The attached picture is about what I am now working on. When I writing this blog, I am opening six tabs in total. One Tab is to check my emails once I receives a new email. The second tab is to listen to music. As long as I feel exhausted, and not so focused, I would play a beautiful piece of music to relax myself. The third tab is the Kindle version of the textbook. When I need to quote sentences from the textbook, I would go back to check it. The fourth one is to check updated Twitter for our course. The fifth one is to check updated discussion posts submitted by my classmates. The final one is, of course, to work on my blog. Am I definitely involved in networked work, right?



So this is my experiences with networked work. Could you share you experiences? 

1 comment: