Thursday, July 2, 2015

What Have Happened Since My phone is not Connected with the Network

I bought a phone in last summer in China. Due to the limitation of the phone operation system, I could not use the mobile phone network. Since two weeks ago, I have been not be able to use Wifi with the phone. In other words, during the two weeks, my phone has been out of the network. Could you imagine that? Since my phone is out of the network the whole time, I cannot use the social media app including QQ, Wechat, Facebook and Twitter any more through my phone.
At first, I felt so uncomfortable. When connected with the network, before I get up or fall asleep, I check my Wechat. I often chat with my best friends in China with Wechat frequently. Without the network, I could not use Wechat anymore. My computer is with Window operation system. So I cannot log in my Wechat by using my laptop. I told my best friends that they can chat with me by using QQ. However, like me, they do not often use QQ anymore. So, during the last two weeks, my friends in China and I have not chatted with each other.  I really miss my conversations with my friends. But I could not do anything.

Now I am used to be out of Wechat. I will wait for the new Iphone. Meanwhile, I begin to think about the effects of wechat on the relationship between people. Wechat enable my friends and me to chat with each other anytime and anywhere, thus maintaining an intimate relationship between us. So what have happened since I could not use Wechat anymore? They do not try to use QQ to connect with me because they are getting used to the Wechat. I do not try to use QQ to chat with them because I know they won’t respond to me. They do not often check their QQ message any more. In other words, when getting used to a social media tool, we would refuse to use the other one. This finding makes me feel a little scary.  A social media tool could effectively affect the relationship and communication between people. 



4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I accidentally deleted my previous response to your post :(
    I was wondering if you have tried the desktop version of Wechat, here is the link : http://weixin.qq.com/cgi-bin/readtemplate?t=win_weixin&lang=en
    I totally understand how you feel when you don't have a cellphone at hand. The waiting period can be a torture. I think, In today's technological driven world, it is hard to imagine the life without a cellphone, especially when it becomes the only communication tool with family and friends. Correct?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing. I tried it.But it needed me to log in by using QR code. Without the network, my phone cannot generate my QR code. I also tried the other way for it. But it did not work out. I guess I will wait for one month to get a new phone.
    I agree. It feels not good when I could not keep a regular communication with my friends and families.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Net-withdrawal is a real thing. I have seen people (including myself) experience stress when they forget their phone at home for a day. It relates to your other post about FOMO. So much of our news is happening in real-time now. When you don't have a constant connection, it feels like you are missing out on the conversations!

    ReplyDelete