Wednesday, August 5, 2015

What citation management software do you often use? Share with me here



Recently, I talked with my advisor about what citation software we should use.

She recommended the Endnote. I have tried it for several days. It is indeed convenient to manage our citations. However, we can only use it for free for 30 free-trial days. Then we will need to pay for it to add more citations.
The RefWorks embedded in FSU libraries is not a free software, either. But if you only want to manage your citation during your graduate study, you can definitely use the RefWorks to manage all your citations to complete your thesis or paper. Here is the link https://www.lib.fsu.edu/eresource/refworks. After you graduate, you can export all your collections of references to other bibliographic software like Zoteto which is free.

Of course, we can use Google Scholar to save citations for all articles we searched on Google scholar. But the problem is that sometimes we do not use it for searching for some articles. So Google Scholar is not convenient for managing our citations.

For me, I am now using Evernote to organize all citations I am interested. I always create a note in which I write down some reflections on articles I am interested and add reference lists at the bottom. But I realize it is not enough to manage a large amount of citations which we are interested. For example, when we read an article, we may find the reference list for it can be useful for us. It will be good to find citation manager tool to export those citations directly for us.

Here is a comparison of different citationmange software, based on which you can decide which software you can choose from to manage your citation. By the way, I will plan to use Zotero more frequently because it's free. I once used Zotero, and then stopped. And I actually do not know about other citation management tools.

What citation management software do you often use? Share with me here.

2 comments:

  1. I use Endnote. When I was working on short paper, like journal article length, it really didn't matter the way to organize reference list. But working on long paper, like dissertation, really needs a tool organizing large reference information. Endnote was good. I made some group set for specific topics and saved the reference info into each topic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing. I am wondering whether your endnote is free or not.

    ReplyDelete